New League Rules for 2016
Get Ready for the 2016 Baseball Alberta League season by reviewing the following changes to the League Rules and Regulations. These rules apply to the Baseball Alberta Provincial 'A', 'AA' and 'AAA' Leagues.You can get a full copy of the 2016 League Rules and Regulations HERE
Participation Rule Change – Bantam AAA added for 2016 season
Divisions Affected:Pee Wee AA, Pee Wee AAA, Bantam AA and Bantam AAAParticipation Rule – This rule will be applied during all rounds leading up to but not including Provincial Championships.All players who are listed on the official lineup card will play a defensive position for 3 of his team’s defensive outs and receive 1 plate appearance. Exceptions:
Purpose:To create a more positive experience for athletes who will now know that when they go to the ball park, they will get to play. To reinforce or create an atmosphere in which coaches recognize their responsibility to the positive experience of all of the athletes on their team. Notes:It is understood that circumstances will sometimes inhibit coaches from being able to adhere to this rule, eg. 10 run mercy rule shortened games, rain shortened games. Procedure:
- Starting pitchers will not be subjected to this rule.
- In rounds where the Designated Hitter is allowed, a Designated Hitter is not required to play a defensive position during 3 of his team’s defensive outs provided he receives 3 plate appearances through the course of the game.
- When a team is scheduled to play 2 games in one day, the scheduled starting pitcher for the second game of the day is not subject to this participation rule during the first game. If this is the coach’s intention, he should make note of that to the umpire and opposing coach prior to the first game.
- Any Pee Wee pitcher who throws more than 64 pitches will not be subjected to this participation rule during a second game on the same day.
- Any Bantam pitcher who throws more than 74 pitches will not be subjected to this participation rule during the second game on the same day.
- Score sheets will not be submitted to Baseball Alberta to determine coaches’ adherence to this participation rule. Baseball Alberta will rely on the professionalism and ethics of its coaches to adhere to this rule. Baseball Alberta encourages opposition coaches as well as outside observers to report cases of non-compliance.
- Any coach or team who is found to have deliberately failed to comply with this rule will be subject to sanctions according to Baseball Alberta’s Discipline Policy.
Chinstraps are no longer required on helmets at any age category. They will be optional for helmets which have chinstrap snaps.Home Team vs. Visitor Team at Provincial Championships
In all cross-over Semi Final and Tiebreaker Provincial Championship Games, the higher placed team after the Round Robin may choose to be home or visitor.Coach Certification
Senior level coaches are no longer required to be Regionally Trained for Nationals/Westerns. All coaches are now required to complete Initiation Coach Online Module.Coach Certification at House League Levels
Baseball Alberta strongly recommends that Associations have all their House League coaches complete the Online Initiation Module and the Respect in Sport Online Course. Amendment to Pitch Count Rules
A pitcher who has pitched on 2 consecutive days and whose total exceeds the low maximum allowance for their age category will not be able to pitch again on the second day.Provincial Championship Pitch Count Violation Procedure
Scorekeepers and coaches must identify any potential infraction before that infraction occurs. No protest will be heard after the fact.Any infraction that is identified after it occurs will result in the removal of the player from the pitching position and no protest or forfeiture will occur. Posting/Updating of Pitch Count totals (Poster Boards) should be displayed at all diamonds being used during Provincial Championship tournaments.
Posted on February 18, 2016
2016 League Calendar
With the 2016 baseball season fast approaching, Baseball Alberta has set out its weekend dates for all Baseball Alberta League play as well as Provincial Championships and Post Provincial Championships.Included in the calendar are some important Association dates for various deadlines throughout the season.Click the picture below to pull up the full 2016 Baseball Alberta Calendar.
Posted on January 13, 2016